当前位置:首页 〉 英语俱乐部 〉 日常英语

日常英语

英语习语中包含的国家名字

发布日期:2014-09-22      作者:金文硕     来源:农业部国际交流中心

  1. It’s all Greek to me

  We use this expression when we cannot understand something we read or hear.

  当我们不理解看到的或听到的某件事时,可以使用这句表达。

  “I recently read this book on Metaphysics. Did you understand it, because it was all Greek to me.”

  “我最近看了这本关于玄学的书,你看懂了吗,因为我完全看不懂。”

  2. Go Dutch

  We go Dutch when we go to a restaurant and share the bill.

  我们用这个习语表示去餐馆并且各自结账。

  “Rachel does not like her male companion to offer her dinner. She always prefers to go Dutch.”

  “瑞秋不喜欢男伴请客,她喜欢各付各的。”

  3. Talk for England

  When someone can talk for hours and hours.

  这个习语指的是某人可以长篇大论讲很久。

  “I’m so sorry I’m late. I couldn’t get away from Linda. She can talk for England!”

  “抱歉我迟到了。琳达太能讲了,我实在脱不开身。”

  4. Dutch Courage

  When you need a little alcohol to give you the courage or confidence to do something.

  这个习语用在你需要一点酒来壮胆做某事的时候。

  “I think I’ll have a quick drink for Dutch Courage before I ask that girl to dance with me.”

  “我觉得邀请那个女孩和我跳舞之前我应该喝点酒壮胆。”

  5. A Mexican Standoff

  This expression is often used in a business situation when two sides cannot agree.

  这句话通常用在谈生意的时候双方未能达成一致。

  “There appears to be a Mexican Standoff as neither party can agree on the terms of the merger.”

  “显然双方未能达成一致,在合并条款上仍存在争执。”

  6. Indian Summer

  A period in late autumn when the weather is unusually warm.

  秋天快要结束的时候,天气比较暖和的那段时间。

  “Much as I love this Indian Summer, I wish we had this warm weather in the summer rather than in October.”

  “尽管我很喜欢秋末温暖的天气,我更希望夏天也能有这个温度而不是十月份。”

  

供稿:农业部信息中心 李婷婷

 

附件: